Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Peruvian Dishes Part 1

Peruvian Cuisine is possibly the best food in the world. The variety is amazing and every Peruvian could easily be a food critic in the United States when asked to describe their favorite dishes. Lima is very well known for its very fresh sea food. Part of the main reason its so fresh is because the current of the shore comes from the south and the water is colder. So fishing in the shores of Lima is lively and can find all types of variety of food at every corner. Throughout these blog posts I am attempting to take a picture of everything that I have eaten in Peru and will write a little bit about.

Canchita:
This is a very common appetizer and Peruvians tend to eat canchita while drinking beer and waiting for their sea food. It is also known to be mixed in some of the dishes like ceviche and chiriuchi. Canchita is dried up corn and cooked in oil with some salt on top. The warmer, the tastier and a great snack to crunch on.

Canchita

Sublime:
Now is going to sound pretty biased, but I believe Sublime is probably the best chocolate this world has to offer. Part of the reason is that when I visited Peru when I was a child, I would eat these chocolates. Now each time I eat one, not only is it delicious but I get that Ratatouille feeling and nostalgia just kicks in. If I could I would bring back 50 boxes of these guys and just be happy. Sublime is a great chocolate that is not too expensive that all Peruvians love and are proud of. I strongly recommend trying one any time during your trip and start a petition to bring Sublime to the United States. The chocolate has grown to be very popular and now there is Sublime extra crunchy, white chocolate and even its own ice cream. The chocolate is delicious with a mixture of nuts. So if you are allergic, you are definitely missing out! This picture is one of the small fun size, but I will post more of the other types.

Worlds Best Chocolate

Alcachofa:
Now this snack is more common in Latin America and can even be found in the Unite States. But I felt the need to post about it because of the artichoke's in Lima are big and a great snack after or before a meal. Artichoke goes especially well with some lemon juice and cooked for a good hour or so.

Alcachofa or Artichoke

Arroz con Pollo:
This is a common dish in Peru as well in other countries in Latin America. But there are different varieties in making the dish. I loved this form of the common chicken and rice dish with peas and seasoning to make it green. Peruvian's have made this dish their own by adding different spices, varieties of corn and aji. This is a great delicious dish that I recommend eating if you are traveling to South America. Its simple and tasty!

Arroz con Pollo
Learn how to make Arroz con Pollo Verde here.

Peruvian cuisine is very mature in the sense that everyone has a strong taste in a wide variety of food. Possibly the best food on this planet, if not then probably top three. I look forward to sharing more pictures and hopefully recipes or where to find the best food in Peru in the upcoming posts.

1 comment:

  1. I will recommend anyone looking for a Business loan to Mr Benjamin who helped me with a Four Million USD loan to start my business and it was fast. When obtaining a loan from them it was surprising how easy they were to work with.The process was fast and secure. It was definitely a positive experience.Avoid scammers on here and contact Mr Benjamin On. 247officedept@gmail.com . if you are looking for a business loan.

    ReplyDelete